Updated: 11/15/2008 : Version 1.01 : Now it supports nested groups and components.
I am quite impressed it is very good software.
Basically it is free!! (Yeah, there is a Pro version costs $$$)
It is very fast and very easy. Also it is pretty much enough accurate to design machine part.
I am still learning Sketchup, but I realized basic version doesn’t have a feature to export the design to DXF file.
I found Sketchup has open-plugin feature with Ruby language. I googled here and there but I couldn’t find any resource I can use. There is a plug-in to export as DXF but it is 3D mesh form which is not what I need.
So, I researched today and fortunately I could initially finish coding the plug in.
– Download export_3d_wire_dxf.rb into Sketchup plugin directory. (ex: C:Program FilesGoogleGoogle SketchUp 6Plugins)
– Start (or restart) Sketchup.
– You can find “Export DXF(3D-Wire)” menu under “Plugins”.
– Set target directory and file name of dxf file.
– Once conversion is done successfully, you will get a confirmation dialog message.